Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Preparing For God’s Work




Written in State College, Pennsylvania
By Shiloh the Shepherd’s Sheepdog



It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. --Ephesians 4:10-13 (NIV)

Hi. Mommy wants me to introduce myself so I will. I’m Shiloh the Shepherd’s Sheepdog. I was born on March 4, 2013. My mommy is an evangelist and she helps prepare God’s people to evangelize. God was preparing me to help Mommy even before she had to say goodbye to my big sister, Belle the Missionary Dog, on March 15, 2013. I moved in with my new Mommy and Daddy on April 29, 2013. I have big shoes to fill but Mommy assures me that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Mommy is working hard to teach me what to do. I don’t like the words “sit,” “no,” and “drop it” but I understand them. Mommy says that if I wouldn’t run off with everything, she wouldn’t have to say, “drop it.” She says “no” when I drag Rascal the Cat around by his tail. She has no idea how much fun that is. She tells me to “sit” when strangers walk up to us but so far, I haven’t been able to do that.

Apparently, people on Facebook helped Mommy pick my name. Shiloh means “The Gift.” The Shepherd in my name refers to Jesus. I think my entire name means that I’m a gift meant to serve Jesus. Mommy says that if she hadn’t already picked my name, she would be calling me “Sassy.” Okay, I’ll admit it. When she tells me what to do, I like to talk back. I guess I’m still being “prepared” for my work.

I think I’m going to like my job because I love traveling. I’ve already driven from Pennsylvania to Florida and back twice. It was fun. My first missionary journey begins in July 15, 2013. Mommy says that campers are small and my most important job in the beginning is to remember to potty outside. Mommy needs to remember that I’m still a puppy and have to be walked more often than my big sister Belle. If we work together on this, I think I can reach that goal.

Mommy also says I have to stop barking at strangers, sit, and let them pet me. We need to share Jesus with strangers. That is really hard because I’m a sheep dog. I’m built to protect. Mommy keeps reminding me that she isn’t a sheep. Maybe if she would introduce me to a real sheep, I would understand the difference.
The only writing I’ve done so far is Tweeting but Mommy encouraged me to write this. She says I’m supposed to write what I see, learn, and think. That seems easy enough. I see Mommy working hard to train me for our journey. I’ve learned that I have to lot to learn to prepare for this special calling. I think I am blessed to be Shiloh the Shepherd’s Sheepdog. You can follow my journey at missionarydog.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment