Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I'm the Star

By Belle Touchton – The Missionary Dog
Mommy - Cheryle M. Touchton - The Pocket Full of Quarters Lady

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Eph 4:2 NIV

Finally, someone realized how important I was. We arrived at the television studio and my name was on the dressing room door. I was the star of the show.

“She’s so pretty,” the woman at the front desk cooed as I pranced in.

Of course I am, I thought. Do you know how many hours I spent at the groomers?

“Can I pet her?” a little boy asked. I sat down and allowed him the privilege of rubbing my adorable head.

Usually Mommy makes television shows alone and I have to wait in Halleluiah. I wondered when someone was going to recognize my star quality. I’d been preparing for this moment all of my life.

My name is Belle Touchton and I’m the Missionary Dog. I travel with my mommy telling people about Jesus. We live in our camper, Halleluiah several months a year. My job is to look cute, do my tricks, and let everyone know how happy you can be when you follow Jesus.

This was my first TV show but I’m not new to the stage. I help Mommy at Bible Schools and children’s camps and events. We sing songs and tell people about Jesus. When Mommy sings “My Best Friend is Jesus,” I bark every time she sings Jesus. We sing ,“If Belle loves Jesus she can sit (or speak or get my tail or whatever Mommy says)” to the tune of “If You’re Happy and You Know It.” Mommy tells boys and girls how to take Jesus’ hand and I offer my paw to Mommy to demonstrate. It’s pretty cool and I’m good at this, if I do say so myself.

The boys and girls loved me. The cameraman loved me. In fact, everyone loved me. We practiced ahead of time so the children would know when they could touch me and when to sing. Mommy didn’t want me distracted but she didn’t have to worry. I knew my job. The name of the show was Smile of a Child and I know how to make a child smile.

The set was cute. It had colored blocks all around the word Jesus. Mommy and I did our thing on a rug surrounded by children sitting on the blocks. It took all day but I didn’t mind because Mommy fed me treats. Mommy keeps treats in one pocket and quarters in the other. I don’t understand why the children liked her pocket full of quarters best. They wouldn’t even try my pocket full of treats.

I was good. No – I was fabulous. I barked, danced, twirled, sat, and lay all at exactly the right time. When we left, everyone knew who the real star was. I knew my life was about to change. No more waiting on Mommy. I’d be invited into churches, television stations, and even restaurants. After all, I was Belle, the star Missionary Dog.

We finished the show and drove to a campground in Pittsburg. Mommy was supposed to speak on Saturday morning. When we woke up, she got dressed and I waited for her to brush me. She never did. We drove to the Community Center and she parked Halleluiah. I stood by the door waiting for my leash. When Mommy turned on the air conditioner, I started barking. Had she forgotten I was the star? Then, she locked Hallelujah and left me. Nooooo, I howled as she left.

When she finished, we drove to our house. Our missionary journey was over. Rascal the Cat greeted me at the door, smug that he’d been with Daddy all summer. Mommy put my food on the floor next to his. On Sunday morning, she didn’t take me to church. No more TV shows. No restaurants. In fact, now that we’re home, Mommy doesn’t take me very many places at all. What happened?

Lying next to the back door, waiting for Mommy to get home, I finally figured it out. Everyone who loves Jesus is His star. Sometimes we get to go on stage. Sometimes we wait alone by ourselves. We can do everything Jesus asks because He makes us strong. If we do what Jesus tells us to do, we are His bright and shining star. I don’t like getting humble but God wants me humble. At the TV station, all I did was my job. Mommy prepared me by teaching me tricks. I was obedient to Mommy and God so the show was good. Maybe I’ll get another turn to make a TV show, but right now, my job is to stay home and keep Rascal out of trouble. Trust me – it’s easier to make a TV show.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete